Space heater to blame for a three-structure fire in Fairbury
Fairbury, Neb -- For the second time in less than a week, fire crews were battling an early morning house fire in Fairbury.
According to Fairbury Rural Fire Chief Kenny Krause, the fire started around 12:15 a.m. in a garage at 9th and H, and quickly spread to the two houses next to it. The garage and one of the homes are believed to be a total loss, while the other house mostly sustained exterior damage. No one was injured in the blaze.
The State Fire Marshall's office was called to investigate the cause of the fire, which turned out to be a space heater connected to an extension cord.
Chief Krause reminds residents that the best way to prevent a fire is to never leave a space heater running in a room unattended, that way, if anything does go wrong, you can take action quickly. He also said that a space heater should never be connected to an extension cord, which could overheat and result in a fire.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, space heaters account for 43% of home heating fires and 85% of home heating deaths.
Assisting with the fire was the Jansen Fire Department, which has an automatic aid agreement, The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, Jefferson County Ambulance 33, and the Fairbury Utilities Department.