WILBER - After jury selection wrapped up Tuesday morning, the court trial of Aubrey Trail officially got underway on Tuesday afternoon, with opening statements beginning just after 2 p.m.

Sandra Allen, a prosecutor from the Nebraska Attorney General's Office, gave a meticulously detailed recount of Sydney Loofe's first meeting with Trail's girlfriend, Bailey Boswell. The two communicated through the Tinder dating app, beginning on Nov. 11, 2017. They first met on Nov. 14.

They agreed to meet the next night for another date. But in the hours before they met, Allen said, Trail and Boswell went to a Lincoln Home Depot store on N. 27th Street and purchased a hack saw, tin snips, a utility knife and drop cloths.

Loofe was never heard from again after Nov. 15. Allen gave harrowing details about how Loofe’s body was found.

"“This is more than a first-degree murder. This was a planned abduction to kill Sydney Loofe,” Allen said.

Loofe's body parts were eventually found on Dec. 4 in rural Clay County in several trash bags in a roadside ditch.

The prosecutor later added that Loofe’s internal organs were not found during an autopsy. The identity of the body, Allen said, was assisted by a tattoo that read “Everything will be wonderful someday.”

Later, Trail's court-appointed attorney Joe Murray said Loofe's death was not a premeditated scheme.

"Aubrey Trail is not a particularly nice man,” Murray said. "Aubrey Trail has told the truth throughout." Murray went on to say that Loofe's death was “completely accidental."

Loofe, according to Murray, knew Trail better than has been previously disclosed, and agreed to participate in the taping of a sexual fantasy with Trail and two other women that involved “sexual asphyxiation,” or choking during sex, to enhance the experience.

After Loofe died, Murray said there was a series of bad decisions fueled by panic, because Loofe's body would not fit in the trunk of Trail’s car.

"There was pandemonium and no set plan to dispose of the body," Murray said.

Trail, dressed in a black dress shirt, sat quietly in a wheelchair as the opening arguments were presented.

On Monday, Trail pleaded guilty to a secondary charge of improper disposal of human remains in a strategic move designed to avoid showing grisly autopsy photographs to the jury of seven women and five men.

The trial reconvenes on Wednesday at 9 a.m.

Paul Hammel of the Omaha World-Herald contributed to this report.

You can follow Tommy on Twitter @Tommy_NCN.