BEATRICE – Beatrice Firefighters were sent to a small fire in an east Beatrice apartment, Wednesday morning.

Firefighter Nick Koch says the department was sent to 18-hundred Scott Street, where a fire broke out at the northeast corner of the apartment complex.  An electrical problem caused a fire that was contained in the kitchen.

Koch says the fire was almost out when firefighters arrived on scene.  They cleared unit 71 of smoke. 

The occupant of the apartment was at home and was not injured.   Koch says damage likely totaled about $500.  No other apartments were damaged.  The fire damage in the unit was confined to the kitchen, with minor smoke damage throughout.

Firefighters were called to the scene at about ten a.m. and were there for about an hour.